Saturday, January 3, 2009

Matt's New Year's Resolutions

1. Lose 20 pounds. OK. So, I'm sure this is on most people's New Year's list, but I'm really going to do it. I probably ought to lose 30 or 40, but I'm going to be realistic. I was 20 pounds lighter not so long ago, so I know I can do it. Here's how: I got a treadmill for Christmas (Thanks, Santa!) so I can run in the winter (I had a not-so-fun slip on the ice last winter). I'm going to run at least 10 miles a week. I can run 2 miles a day and have Saturdays off or make up whatever I've missed on Saturday. I'm also going to start the South Beach Diet. I've been on it before and it's not so tough (at least after the first two weeks) and it's very effective, but I just need to stick with it until I've lost the 20 pounds. We also got a digital scale for Christmas, so I will record my weight at the end of each day hopefully getting me motivated to keep working.

2. Run a half-marathon. 2 years ago, I ran my first 5k. Last year, I ran my first 10k. This year I will run the Salt Lake City Half Marathon on April 18th. I'll train using a running schedule for the 9 weeks prior to the run. The only problem with this is it is going to be twice as hard to go from a 10k to a half marathon as it was to go from a 5k to a 10k.

Aaron, Katy, Dan, Me and McKinnon after the 2006 SLC 5k.



3. Read more. So, outside of church reading, I read 2 comic books and 2 chapters out of The Physics of Superheroes in 2008. How pathetic! So I'm going to finish The Physics of Superheroes (and give it back to Curt) and read "Ender's Game" because people have recommended it to me. I'll try to do this earlier on in the year so I can find another good book (Sorry, Tina, I won't read Twilight).


So, those are the big three this year. I've got a few other things I want to do, but if I can do these three, I'll be happy.

7 comments:

Crystal said...

I can't believe you're ruling out Twilight! You are sure missing out! :p

Michelle said...

Ender's Game is a good one. When you're finished with that, try "Ender's Shadow". It's basically the same story told from a different character's point of view. Good luck!
PS. Eric looked at me funny, too, when I suggeested he read "Twilight". I don't blame him--it's more a girl thing.

Ladybug143 said...

Twilight should be on your list! I am surprised! :)

Anonymous said...

If I had to choose between reading twilight, and no reading at all..

Well, let's just say I'd have a lot of free time.

Erin said...

Okay Matt, if you refuse to read Twilight, can I recommend Pride & Prejudice :)
All kidding aside, it's a much better book anyway.

Cameron and Katie said...

Matt, I am proud of you with the running. However, I am not sure that I know the Matt that likes to run. :) Keep up the great work.

Cameron and Katie said...

Oh yes, I just want to learn how to read.